Monday, October 4, 2010

Dear Family,

Alright, so was conference great or what?! I took a legit 10 pages of notes. I learned so much. The following sheet of paper has my favorite notes that I had jotted down that I thought you guys could benefit from. Please read the scriptures I wrote too. I don't know if you want to hold a family home evening about it or what but this stuff is legit. Thank you for your letters. I'll definitely study the doctrine of "Declaring Repentance" my next study. So we get interviews from President on Wednesday! They are more like a PPI. Oh, by the way, I'm putting back on some weight again. I've been exercising like crazy lately. So, a mission rule, we have to wear our suit jackets til the next conference. I don't mind though because I think I look rather sharp! :) So, something I didn't have room to write from conference, -would I sin or make a mistake if Jesus were right next to me, - that struck me deep. Love you, miss you guys!
-Elder Harris

PS- I know that Dad was a very proud father during the priesthood session. When Russell M. Nelson told the missionaries wherever they may be in the world, to stand, I was thinking of Dad and Tyler and Ryan, wishing that you guys could see me stand. I love you guys!

Highlights from Oct 2010 conference notes:
- Keep ourselves clean, pure, and worthy to represent the Lord.
- Every able young man should serve a mission. Tyler and Ryan :)
- Give thanks in all that you do and you will learn humility.
- Consistency is better than speed.
- Follow the prophet. He will never lead us astray.
- What matters most in learning/teaching is the attitude about what is being taught, or learned.
- Successful gospel teachers love the gospel and live it.
  1. Immerse ourselves in the scriptures! We must know the gospel in order to teach it. (D&C 11:20-21).
  2. Apply in your life what you learn.
  3. Seek heaven's help! (D&C 42:14). *August 2009 Ensign Yoshihiko Kikuchi article.
  4. Exercise our agency and act on the principles of righteousness. Obey what the spirit says. (Proverbs 3:5-7).
- Hypocrisy is destructive.
- Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Not these complex trick-plays. Master the fundamentals.
- Our strength comes from a steadfast faith in Christ!
- We progress and opportunities arise when we submit our will to the Father.
- To obey is better than to sacrifice. (1 Samuel 10:8, 13:8-13, 15:2-23 especially verse 22, D&C 130:20-21).
- Be in the world but not of the world. (Romans 12:1-2).
- Choose faith over doubt, fear, or the unknown.
- In our weakest moments, the adversary strikes.
- Our character is dependent upon how we act during times of trial. The bedrock of character is integrity.
- We become what we want to become when we consistently BE what we want to become.
- The Book of Mormon is key to everything you do, and we are called to gather the Lord's elect. (D&C 29:1-8).
- Be thou an example of the believers. (1 Tim 4:12).
- You can find peace through the Savior.
- Harden not your heart, stiffen not your neck, I promise that you will find peace through him.
- Our home must be a place where the holy spirit can dwell.
- Put off the natural man and be full of love! (Mosiah 3:19).
- Beware of pride, it brings self elevation and puts others down.
- It is impossible to be puffed up when we are full of charity, when we serve others our pride diminishes.
- When we ponder it invites revelation from the spirit, after we have prayed and read the scriptures.
- If and when we make a wrong choice, we have no one to blame but ourselves. (Study Preach My Gospel, pages 150-151, Accountability and Scripture Study section.)
- It is easier to keep the commandments 100% of the time than 98% of the time.
- A prayerful life is the key to expressing gratitude.
- Cultivate an attitude of gratitude.

(Photo is of Corey, in the Conference Center, the day before he reported to the MTC.)

No comments: